Building & Zoning

Building & Zoning

The Building and Zoning Department issues permits and completes inspections to assure that codes and zoning regulations are met and proper plans and documents are completed.


E-permitting is now available online in Barrington through Rhode Island's state web-based system called ViewPointCloud. Applicants can apply for a range of permits such as Building, Demolition, Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, Solar, and Moving as well as applying for Chicken/Hen registrations. Please visit the following website to complete you application:

This streamlined permit process allows for better communication with:

  • Easy access: Log in anytime, from home, office and at the Building Department's public computer
  • Payment can be made with credit card on-line, by check through mail, or by cash, check or credit card in-person at the Building Department
  • Intuitive setup - simple to use
  • Passive updates: Status emails and notifications from the start through final inspections
  • Enhanced data management: Submit electronic payment, upload certain documents, and monitor application status.  Building plans must still be dropped off in the Building department for review as well as with the Fire Chief, if applicable.

New users must register for a ViewPointCloud account in order to submit permit applications electronically. This account is valid with any Rhode Island town utilizing the ViewPointCloud e-permitting system. 

Paper applications for the above permits will no longer be accepted. Please contact Mary Ann Rosenlof at 401-247-1900, ext. 326 or via email at for additional information or if you need assistance with this process.

Click here for the statewide e-permitting system tutorials.



Application Forms

Click here for Building, Mechanical, Electrical permit fees, Zoning Board application forms and related information.

Plat, Lot and Zone Information
NEW: Online step-by-step directions to obtain Plat, Lot and Zone information are available by clicking here. Information provided on Town applications and forms MUST be vertified by Town officials


Bob Speaker, Building Official / Zoning Officer

Nick Massed, Electrical Inspector

  • The Electrical Inspector conducts inspections Monday & Wednesday mornings and Thursdays starting at noon. Call Mary Ann Rosenlof at 247-1900, extension 326 at least one day before to schedule an inspection.

Mary Ann Rosenlof, Administrative Assistant & Board Secretary

Peggy Schwartz, Administrative Assistant

Office Hours & Location

The Building Official's office is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (closed for lunch). The Building Official conducts inspections in the afternoon.

The office is on the second floor (at the top of the stairs) at Town Hall, 283 County Road.