Development Plan Approval Process
The Planning Board handles Development Plan Review applications for businesses and subdivision applications. The Planning Board can also serve as an advisory Board as directed by the Town Council or in commercial matters that will also require Zoning relief. The Planning Board is responsible for administering the Land Development and Subdivision Regulations, and ensuring completion of the Town’s Comprehensive Community Plan.
Land Development and Subdivision Regulations
The Planning Board meets monthly, typically the 1st Tuesday of each month at 7:00 PM – see calendar on the Planning Board page. The following review & approvals fall under the Planning Board’s oversight:
- Preliminary / Concept Plan Review (PDF)
- Administrative Subdivisions (PDF)
- Minor Subdivisions - Preliminary Plan (PDF), Final Plan (PDF)
- Major Subdivisions - Master Plan (PDF), Preliminary Plan (PDF) , Final Plan (PDF)
- Comprehensive Permits (PDF)
The Technical Review Committee (TRC) is appointed by the Planning Board and completes reviews of detailed plans with the applicant, ensures compliance with use permissions and dimensional requirements. The TRC meets only when applications require review and recommendation to the Planning Board – typically the 2nd Thursday of each month at 7:30 PM – see Calendar HERE.
Comprehensive Community Plan, 2015 Update
The “Comp Plan” serves as the Town’s blueprint, documenting the value-based aspirations and strategic direction for capital improvements. The Comp Plan considers a 20-year time horizon of land use, facilities, services, and initiatives in Barrington. It is updated every 10 years, with an implementation reporting requirement every five (5) years set by the RI Division of Statewide Planning.
A Future Land Use Plan (FLUP) is a key deliverable with every update of the full Comp Plan, guiding changes to Zoning to ensure consistency of the Zoning Ordinance with the Comp Plan. Amendments to the Plan can be vetted and adopted into the Plan at any time under the direction of the Planning Board.
- Transportation Improvement Program (TIP)
- Village Center Parking Study - 2016 (PDF)
- Coming Soon! Complete Streets Plan, 2022
- Coming Soon! Wayfinding Signage Program
- Low & Moderate Income Housing & Comprehensive Permits
- Age-Restricted Housing
- 25 Watson Avenue/former Carmelite Monastery
- 33 Middle Highway/former Zion Bible College
- Home Repair Assistance Program
- Down Payment Assistance Program
- Emergent Funds
Economic Development & Business Programs
- Opening a Business in Barrington (PDF)
- Risk Reduction for Small Business Resilience
- Coming Soon! Vacant Storefront Initiative