The Planning Board handles Development Plan Review applications, subdivision applications, and Comprehensive Permits. The Planning Board also serves as an advisory board as directed by the Town Council or in commercial matters that will also require Zoning Board relief.
Meeting agendas and minutes can be found on the Secretary of State’s website.
Please note: written public comment, additional letters, exhibits, and/or materials must be submitted no later than the Friday prior to each meeting at 11:00 AM, even if such day is a holiday. Late submissions will not be accepted.
December 5, 2023 Meeting Materials
- Staff Memorandum
- 3.1 Consent Agenda: November 27, 2023 DRAFT Meeting Minutes
- 4.1 Discuss and Act: Amendments to Chapter 200: Land Development and Subdivision Regulations to reflect amendments to Rhode Island General Law
- 5.1 Discuss and Act: 33 Middle Highway Process Discussion and Effects of New Legislation
- 5.3 Discuss and Act: Comprehensive Plan Chapter Assignments
- Roni Phipps, Chair
- Brian Rua, Vice Chair
- Lawrence Bacher, Full Member
- Bill Kurtz, Full Member
- Brian Morley, Full Member
- Richard E. Simms, Full Member
- Alexander Mueller, Full Member
- Richard Godfrey, 1st Alternate
- John Mueller, 2nd Alternate
- Kate Berard, Town Council Liaison
- Teresa Crean, AICP, Town Planner and Administrative Officer
- Isabelle Gillibrand, Clerk to the Planning Board
- All submittals to the Planning Board are due no sooner than three weeks before the Planning Board meeting. Major land development/subdivision projects, including Comprehensive Permits, require eight weeks. Please see the deadline schedule to plan accordingly.
- The Technical Review Committee (TRC) is advisory to the Planning Board (with exception of signage). Please note that most applications require TRC review prior to the Planning Board. See Chapter 200-7 of the Town Code or TRC webpage for more information on the TRC, and the deadline schedule to plan accordingly.
- Concept Review Checklist (PDF)
- Subdivision Land Development Project Application (PDF)
- Please use this application for major, minor, or administrative subdivision submittal, along with the corresponding checklist.
- Major Land Development/Subdivision Deadline Schedule (PDF)
See Article VII of the Land Development and Subdivision Regulations for more information on procedure.
If a lot is nonconforming to zoning regulations, a comprehensive permit may allow an option for subdivision. See Article XVI of the Land Development and Subdivision Regulations for more information on procedure.
See Article VI of the Land Development and Subdivision Regulations for more information on procedure.
See Article V of the Land Development and Subdivision Regulations for more information on procedure.
Development Plan Review
See Article XVIII of the Land Development and Subdivision Regulations for more information on procedure.
- Development Plan Review Application
Additional Information, Responsibilities, and Resources
In accordance with Chapter 5, Capital Improvement Program, of the Code of the Town of Barrington, the Planning Board prepares an annual capital budget and six-year Capital Improvement Program for submission to the Town Manager.
In accordance with Chapter 200, Subdivision of Land, and Sec. 45-23-51.52 of the Rhode Island General Laws, the Board has the authority to adopt, modify and amend rules and regulations governing and restricting the platting and subdivision of land and land development. The Board controls such subdivision and land development pursuant to such rules and regulations.
Additionally, the Board provides for the administration, interpretation, and enforcement of, land development and subdivision review regulations. All such regulations and amendments shall be consistent with the Comprehensive Plan, Chapter 185, Zoning, of the Code of the Town of Barrington and all provisions of Chapter 23 of Title 45 of the Rhode Island General Laws, as amended.